Wednesday, September 19, 2018

School's First Day of School

My daughter (my oldest!) started kindergarten this year. In the weeks leading up to her first day, we checked out several "first day of school" books from the library.  We enjoyed them all, but our favorite was School's First Day of School by Adam Rex, illustrated by Christian Robinson.


As indicated by the title, this story is about a brand new school, nervously anticipating the first day of being a school. The fresh perspective was definitely what made this book stand out from the other "first day" books. I loved Rex's storytelling style and the voice he gives to the school. It was fun for my daughter to wonder about how a school might feel on its first day. And for kids who are a little nervous about their first day, the idea of the school itself being nervous would be comforting to imagine. My favorite part was when School "accidentally has a fire drill" and feels so embarrassed, as if it's something it couldn't help, like having a potty accident. But when everyone is nice about it, School doesn't feel so bad anymore. It is such a genius way to address one of the many fears a kid may have about starting school!

I also thought the author did a wonderful job of accurately capturing a typical first day of school.  Like when the kids in a class introduce themselves and two boys are named Aiden and one named Caiden. And when a boy laughs so hard at a joke during lunch that milk comes out his nose. And how a little freckled girl is so scared to start Kindergarten that her mom has to carry her in...but at the end of the day, she chooses to draw a glittery picture of the school and her teacher hangs it on the bulletin board.

Christian Robinson's illustrations are a mix of collage and acrylic paint, with bright colors and ample white space. The childlike, whimsical style perfectly fits the theme of the book. Altogether, I don't think there's a single thing I would change about this book. It's fresh, authentic, and imaginative with just the right balance of seriousness and humor. This will definitely be my go-to picture book to share with my kids and students on the first day of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Brave, Bud (SpringFling 2022)

“Open up, Bud!” Daisy called. “I’m good, thanks,” Bud muttered. “But it’s a beautiful day!” “I’d rather stay inside.” “But you need ...