Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Blue Sky, White Stars

Happy Fourth of July! I'm always on the lookout for great holiday-themed books to share with my kids to teach them a little about the holiday. We stumbled across Blue Sky, White Stars earlier this year, and I knew it would be my new go-to for Independence Day. (It would also be perfect for Flag Day, but I never seem to remember that holiday until it's already over!)


Blue Sky, White Stars by Sarvinder Naberhaus and illustrated by Kadir Nelson draws beautiful parallels between the American flag and our country's history.  It begins with a picture of the Statue of Liberty against the starry night sky with the four words, "Blue Sky, White Stars." The next page repeats the words, "Blue Sky, White Stars" but shows the white stars and blue background of the American flag. My favorite page is a picture of Betsy Ross sewing the first American flag with the words "Sew together, won nation." And then the next page is a picture of diverse Americans with the words, "So together, one nation." The words are few but POWERFUL. And the illustrations are just GORGEOUS and equally powerful. It is also a great way to introduce or review American history with your kids as it depicts everything from the pioneer crossing to the civil rights movement to the moon landing. I love absolutely everything about this book, and it's rare for me to say that. (Because I'm picky, remember?) Blue Sky, White Stars gets five (white) stars from me!

What are your favorite holiday-themed books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Brave, Bud (SpringFling 2022)

“Open up, Bud!” Daisy called. “I’m good, thanks,” Bud muttered. “But it’s a beautiful day!” “I’d rather stay inside.” “But you need ...